Saturday, January 12, 2013

Gary Soto Garage

This project is based on two of Gary Soto's short stories titled "The Haircut" and "The Inner Tube." These stories are set in Fresno, CA during the 1960's. The research and reference gathering took much longer than I expected, but I wanted to make sure that everything from the architecture down to the product labels was authentic to both the time period and the geographic location. After completing about 75% of the project in Sketchbook Pro, I'd gained a pretty firm grasp on the program's shortcomings and limitations. I reluctantly concluded that it was time to transition into Photoshop and drudged my way through the last quarter of the project. Although it felt like torture at the time, my stuggles presented a fairly well-rounded introduction to the program, while providing me with the opportunity to explore some (previously neglected) principles like staging, design, and emotional content.

No comments:

Post a Comment